We had almost 50 families from FRES and GCES join us for the PTA Connected SmartTalk on Internet Safety! If you missed it, check out the keynote and the main presentation filled with many tips and resources to keep kids safe on the internet when using popular apps. You can also complete a Smart Talk agreement with your children to make sure everyone is on the same page with household internet rules. A special thank you to Ms. Edmondson, Ms. Staggs, and Ms. Wise for presenting on behalf of FRES! Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week 2021: Teacher Appreciation Week is being celebrated May 3-7 and there are several ways you can participate! Thank you for helping to celebrate our wonderful FRES teachers and staff members!
1. Monday: In honor of FRES teachers and staff, on May 3 Sweet Frog of Laurel is offering a special discounted price of $5 for a small yogurt for FRES students and a free small yogurt for FRES teachers and staff.
2. Tuesday: Send snacks to stuff the breakroom! You can sign up to send or drop off individually wrapped snacks and drinks to 8507 Young Rivers Court. Please drop off or have items shipped to arrive prior to May 3.
3. Wednesday: While we typically have a potluck, with pandemic safety in mind, we would like to purchase their lunches this year. Please consider sponsoring lunch for one (or more!) of FRES’s 90 staff members by donating on MemberHub. A $10 donation covers one lunch and a $5 donation covers a beverage and snack.
4. Thursday: Send a note of appreciation. Families can drop off or email cards or notes of appreciation to their children’s teachers all week by placing them in the basket in the vestibule at the entrance or by sending to school with your student if they are in-person. Don’t forget Related Arts teachers and other FRES staff members!
5. Friday: Sign up to send a gift card or prize for the teacher and staff raffle. Please drop off prizes to 8507 Young Rivers Court prior to May 3.6. If you wish to send something directly to your child’s teacher, here is a “favorite things” info sheet for some ideas.
EXTENDED to May 7! Casting for the Virtual FRES Variety Show – Send Us Your Video Auditions: Mark your calendars for the virtual PTA Variety Show Thursday, May 20, 2021! We are seeking talented FRES performers to cast in the show. Tryouts are open to all FRES students in any performance area, including singers, dancers, musicians, comedians, magicians, poets, solo artists and groups – the list is endless. Send in your video auditions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Video auditions should be two minutes or less and will be accepted now through May 7, 2021. Questions? Contact Tangie Smith at email@example.com
Grocery Rewards NEW Deadline: Weis Markets has announced that grocery rewards will be retroactive. You can take the barcode into the store and they will link it to your savings card, but the barcode must be scanned by TODAY April 30, 2021. Don’t miss out! We are also participating in Amazon Smile, Harris Teeter (requires annual renewal), BoxTops, and Coke Rewards. Please visit https://frespta.org/ways-to-support/grocery-storeshopping-programs/ for more information on these programs that provide financial support to FRES based on purchases you already make.
Volunteers Needed: We are looking for volunteers and leaders for several committees for next year. Please check out the list and comment with your name and email address so we can contact you with more information.
Call for Two New PTACHC Delegates (to start in September 2021)
Do you have an interest in playing a key role in the FRES PTA, but don’t have a lot of time to commit? Volunteer to be a county-level PTA delegate for FRES for the next school year! We will need two FRES delegates for the PTA Council of Howard County [PTACHC] for 2021-2022 since our current delegates are moving on. You will hear first-hand about new developments at the county level, and how they may impact FRES and your family. The meetings are typically held the first Monday evening of the month in Ellicott City. Website: https://www.ptachc.org/ With two FRES delegates, you’d alternate meetings, so the commitment would be one meeting every other month to attend and report back to FRES on the highlights. With 70+ PTAs in Howard County, the meetings are large and held in a lecture-type setting. No previous experience is necessary. Please view the FRES PTACHC job description here. If you are interested, please email Korin Sharp firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 14 . Thank you!
Box Tops – Earn Cash for FRES via App or Send in Physical Clips to School: FRES families can scan their grocery receipts for cash for FRES! Look for Box Tops logos on cereal, granola bars, Annie’s products, Yoplait, Pillsbury, Old El Paso, Nestle water, Paper Mate pens, etc. Download the Box Tops app to scan your receipts; FRES earns 10 cents per product! Receipts must be scanned within 14 days of purchase; digital receipts (for online food purchases at Walmart, AmazonSmile, etc.) can be emailed. See boxtops4education.com for instructions and a complete list of participating products. The Box Tops program will continue to honor physical Box Top clips from products until they expire. Send any Box Tops into school with your child in a baggie or envelope. Or stop by the FRES building for contactless drop off in our Box Tops bin in the vestibule during school hours. Thank you for your support
New Spirit Wear Promotion: New Spirit Wear Promotion for April! Free shipping on orders over $50 with code SPRING21-FS. FRES PTA also receives a donation of 10% of all sales. This promotion has been extended until May 3.
Fifth Grade Activities: Zoom call will be Tuesday, May 4, at 6 p.m., open to all. Please email email@example.com for meeting link
- Fifth Grade Tee Shirts: The PTA’s 5th Grade Activities Committee will be ordering t-shirts for all 5th graders. Please fill out this short survey to let us know your child’s t-shirt size Each 5th grader will receive a shirt free-of-charge, sponsored by the PTA each year. The shirts will be distributed before the end of the school year. Please fill out the survey as soon as possible, and no later than TODAY Friday, April 30th. Thank you!
- Yearbook Cover Art Contest EXTENDED: Your 5th grader still has a chance to submit their own artwork to be used for the front and/or back covers of the yearbook, see the flyer for instructions! Covers are designed by 5th grade students only. Please note with any back cover entries, do not write inside the “21” as it will contain student names. All completed art should be submitted to the front office by April 30, 2021. Submissions can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org The winners will be selected at the May PTA meeting.
- Baby Picture Gallery: Stroll down memory lane! Each year 5th grade students are invited to participate in a Baby Picture Gallery! If you would like to submit a baby picture (kindergarden or younger) of your 5th grader, please email photos to email@example.com. Please format your submission so that it shows your child’s face clearly in a 1 inch by 1 inch square. Your submission must include the student’s name. This section is voluntary and absolutely free. Baby Picture Gallery submissions are due Friday, April 30, 2021.
- Dedications: Send a special message! Family and friends can send their 5th grader a message wishing them success in middle school! This section normally has a fee to help offset the cost of the yearbook, however, this year we are offering a free 25 word dedication. Space is limited. Dedication submissions are also due Friday, April 30, 2021. Please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL students can submit yearbook photos to email@example.com.
Indoor Recess Materials Drive & School Wish Lists: Thank you to everyone who participated in the Recess Materials Drive and Hybrid learning Wish Lists
Communication: There are several ways to receive communications including www.frespta.org, the FRES PTA Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FRESPTA/, and Twitter @frespta. There is also a group that was formed for discussion and support and is for current FRES families.
Membership: It’s not too late to join the PTA. Your membership will be valid until September 2021. Visit www.frespta.org/membership and it’s only one $10 payment.
Save the Date:
- Upcoming General PTA Meeting: May 10 and June 14 at 7 p.m. Passcode: frespta
- Teacher and Staff Appreciation Night: May 3 – Sweet Frog, Maryland City – $5 cups of yogurt for FRES students
Feedback: Please let us know if you have any questions, feedback, or suggestions either by email or via our suggestion box. Suggestions are anonymous, so if you would like a reply, please include your email address.
Please email Korin Sharp at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions on this week’s update. Thanks and have a great weekend!